Teagasc have published a roadmap for dairy production to 2027.
The State’s Agriculture and Food Development Authority predicts that milk production will increase from 7.99 bn litres to 9.49 bn litres in 2027 with national milk solids production increasing from 633,000 tonnes to 751, 000 tonnes. Other key findings and performance indicators over the next 7-year period include:
- Average milk solids per farm will increase from 417 kg MS to 465 kg MS.
- GHG emissions will decrease by 15% from 1.13 kg CO2/kg to 0.96 kg CO2/kg.
- Grass DM/ha utilised will increase from 7.8 t/ha to 8.9 t/ha.
- Herd EBI will increase from €90 to €140.
- The % six-week calving rate will increase from 62% to 76%.
- Biodiversity habitats on dairy farms will increase from 7% to 10%.
- Slurry applied by LESS will increase by under 10% to 80%.
- Use of protected urea will increase from 2% to 50%.
- N fertiliser usage (kg/ha) will decrease from 184 kg/ha to 170kg/ha.
- Clover use will increase from 5% to 20%.
The full roadmap can be viewed here
Eamonn Farrell – Agri-Food Policy Executive
24 Nov 2022